Part of a £1 billion, 5 year transformation programme of Manchester Airport Terminal 2 including the terminal extension, new baggage terminal, parking facility & piers, Nationwide Platforms is providing a partnered managed service in collaboration with Select Plant Hire to identify, source and manage all aspects of powered access throughout the entire project as Laing O’Rourke’s preferred supplier.
The greatest challenges for this project come from the sheer scale and complexity of the build programme which will use close to 8,000 tonnes of steel and extend over 86,000m², whilst working within an operational airport. With 1,300 people working on-site and over 50 subcontractors across multiple trades and up to 300 access platforms at the peak of its construction, Laing O’Rourke was keen to create an environment focused on safety and productivity through Nationwide Platforms’ Partnered Managed Service.
Nationwide Platforms and Select Plant Hire agreed an exclusive arrangement with Laing O’Rourke to offer a total powered access management provision on site for the entire build programme. The partnered managed service includes:
1. A dedicated project management team to oversee, manage, specify and provide guidance on all powered access requirements.
2. Monthly review meetings with Laing O’Rourke to evaluate performance and contractor engagement plans whilst addressing any development areas.
3. The installation of an on-site MEWP compound with equipment preparation, repair, office and store facilities.
4. A dedicated on-site engineer to provide ongoing support and maintenance to all MEWP’s.
5. The adoption of SkySentry™Telematics to restrict unauthorised machine access and ensure operator competency, remotely managed by the on-site MEWP co-ordinator.
6. Streamlined machine transportation and logistics management eliminating machine delivery delays and associated costs.
Driven by enhanced customer service, the partnered managed service with Select Plant Hire not only maximises productivity, safety and security but also provides Laing O’Rourke with significant savings and brings a wealth of benefits:
• The on-site Nationwide Platforms team are incredibly reactive to any barriers to productivity and provide immediate support and guidance.
• Repairs or replacement MEWPs are orchestrated efficiently by the on-site MEWP co-ordinator, maximising machine uptime.
• Over 1000 MEWP deliveries prevented over the length of the 5 year project, providing huge savings to the customer.
• Enhanced safety modifications through BlueSky attachments; a bespoke fitting was made for a roofing subcontractor within 10 weeks allowing them to take large metal screens to height, and SkyRakEdge® was required to be used to transport all material during scaffolding work. The worlds first trial of the award-winning SkySiren® PCS™ for Scissors was shown at Manchester Terminal 2, as well as our groundbreaking VR training platform.
• All machines are equipped with SkySentry™Telematics allowing Nationwide Platforms to have complete control over all MEWP’s on-site reducing unauthorised use and providing data regarding the utilisation of the assets giving enhanced control, visibility and confidence when working at height during the construction.